Contact me

2010 SKETCHBOOK (60 pages, black/white/tone, print run 100 copies)

Editions

Friday, January 31, 2014

A couple of cool upcoming books.

So just to make it clear, my blog is not "monetized" (is that a real word?). I am not trying to sell anything to anyone, but I think there are some wonderful artists who are finally getting their due and more and more collections of their work are being reprinted. It would be a shame if the new publications went unnoticed, so lets help spread the word :)

All are available on amazon for pre-order.

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez: 
Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex Volume 2 TP Paperback – March 25, 2014
There is only about 5-6 issues of his work in this upcoming collection,
but each one is a gem and will be printed here in black and white. I am truly
looking forward to this volume of western adventures!

Cinder & Ashe Paperback – July 8, 2014
It is just a crime (a real crime!) that this series has been out of print since it's original
publication. I would love to see a hardcover collection of this modern "crime noir"
story with extra pages devoted to sketches and character studies, but alas...I
might have to wait another 20 years for that :)

Howard Chaykin:
Satellite Sam Volume 1 TP Paperback – February 18, 2014
I have seen individual floppies of this series. Black and white murder mystery in the
middle of Hollywood is a perfect setting for Chaykin and Matt Fraction seems to
be on the same wavelength with Chaykin writing this as a crazy ride through
blackmail and plunging TV ratings.


Katsuya Terada:
Dragon Girl and Monkey King: The Art of Katsuya Terada - August 5, 2014

A long time ago I went to Japan. I was really looking forward to going to bookstores and buying some cool books (this was all before the explosion of the internet). My dreams were destroyed when I realized that ALL books were shrink wrapped. It was funny to see, how the Japanese, who are so proper, had no problem sitting in a bookstore for hours and reading books that were available...and how the store owners kept trying to kick them out and re-shrink wrap the books. But not being able to read Japanese, I had no idea what was the content of the books. All the covers look great, but I did not want to spend $20 on a nice cover and 300 pages of text in a foreign tongue. So I gambled and bought only one book, "Monkey King" by Terada. I lucked out because I loved it. Later on Dark Horse reprinted same volume (and vol 2) and I could finally read it. Now Dark Horse is putting out a collection of this fantastic artist. No idea what will be inside, but I already pre-ordered a copy :)

No comments: