Contact me

2010 SKETCHBOOK (60 pages, black/white/tone, print run 100 copies)

Editions

Friday, August 28, 2009

From Russia With Love


I was looking through my books for something light to read and I re-discovered a retelling of Robert Luis Stevenson's "Treasure Island". It's a simple adaptation that can be read in an evening (and it made me remember just how good the "real" book is...so I pulled that off the bookshelf as well). This retelling is profusely illustrated by Alexander Mikhnushev, who according to the bio at the back of the book, is the winner of "prestigious awards". There are lots of little 1/8 page spot illustrations and also a lot of double page illustrations (that regretfully suffer by having a book crease right in the middle) and even though the style took a little time to grow on me, I think they all capture the spirit of adventure that saturates the whole book.

No comments: